- Scouring: Soda Ash ( or soda crystals )
- Scouring: Eco-Friendly, PH Neutral Soap (Un-perfumed - Non Citrus)
- Mordanting: Tannin Powder - Oak Gall powder
- Mordanting: Potassium Aluminium Sulphate
OVERVIEW OF THE PROCESS
- Understand the fibre you are working with
- Prepare fibre by "scouring"
- Mordant fibre
- Gather or forage for dye material
- Set up dye baths
- Dye fibre
- Wash & aftercare
- Plant fibre: 1tsp of soda ash or 1 tbsp of soda crystals per 100 grams (4 ounces) of fibre.
- Animal fibre: 1/2 tsp of detergent per 100 grams (4 ounces) of fibre.
- Plant fibre: Use 1tsp of tannin ( oak gall or any plant mordant ) for every 100g (3.5-4 oz) of fibre.
- Animal fibres use 2tsp of Alum for every 100g of fibre.
- Roughly about 5 ltrs. of water for every 100g fibre.
- Dye Stuff: Equal weight of fibre (after fibre has been scoured) to plant dye. If you're dyeing a set of linen napkins and they weigh 100g then use 100g of plant material. If you would like lighter shades, use half this & for stronger colours double the weight of fibre. Of course there will always be exceptions to this as some dyes will be stronger and more concentrated that others.
ALWAYS PRE-SOAK BEFORE MORDANTING & DYEING
- A note on weighing fibre: In natural dying you will see W.O.F, meaning weight of fibre. This is based on the weight of the fibre or fabric to be dyed after it has been scoured & dried.
- Modifiers: Use 1 tsp of liquid modifier to 1 litre of water.
EXAMPLES OF SOME DYE PLANTS
YELLOWS: Bracken, Dyers Chamomile, Coreopsis, Fustic, Goldenrod, Osage, Pomegranate, Rhubarb, Tansy, Turmeric, Weld, Yarrow, Yellow Onion.
ORANGE: Rhubarb, Madder, Cutch, Eucalyptus
GREEN TONES: Comfrey, Golden rod, Ivy, Nettle, Red Onion, Sunflower, Weld
BLUE: Indigo, Woad, Elderberry with iron mordant, Blackberry with iron mordant
BLACK: Logwood with iron or tannin rich dyes or mordants with iron mordant. (ex: oak gall with iron, walnut with iron)
PINKS & REDS: Avocado, Safflower, Cutch, Madder, Lady's Bedstraw, Brazilwood, Hibiscus, Birch, St. John's Wort
BROWN: Black Tea, Cutch, Oak Galls, Walnut, Coffee, Alder, Acorns
Eco- Yarns U.K: